-1 lb ground lean turkey meat
-1/3 cup gluten free bread crumbs
-1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
-2 tablespoons Herbs de Provence* (see note below for a DIY similar mixture)
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon pepper
-1 teaspoon cayenne
-1 tablespoon cooking oil of choice
-2 bell peppers, color of choice
-1 jalapeno (optionally left out if you don't like spice)
-1 tablespoon cooking oil
-30 ounces tomato puree
-1/4 cup balsamic
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne (optionally left out)
-1/4 cup lactose free milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Mix all ingredients (except oil) for meatballs in a bowl
3. Heat a large oven-proof skillet on the stove with cooking oil. I prefer olive oil for this, but any should work. Roll out meatballs, whatever size you prefer, and place them in the skillet. I made 10 medium/large meatballs with this recipe. Cook uncovered on the stove for about 5 minutes, flip them, and cook another couple minutes.
4. Pour in about 1/4 cup of water into your skillet and cover. Move to oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked all the way through. There should be no pink in the middle and register 165 degrees F in the center.
5. While meatballs are cooking, de-seed and dice your bell peppers and jalapeno.
6. Remove meatballs from skillet and set aside. Add in cooking oil and peppers, sauteing in the remaining juices and bits stuck from the meatballs. Saute about 5 minutes, until soft.
7. Pour in tomato puree, balsamic, salt, and cayenne. Bring to a simmer, stirring often.
8. Turn heat to low and stir in milk. Add meatballs back in and simmer, covered, for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to really come together!
Serve over noodles of choice!
*Herbs de Provence DIY:
simply a pinch of the following dried herbs: thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary. Marjoram and lavender can be added if you have it handy, but not totally necessary.