-1 large russet potato
-1 tablespoon ghee (or butter)
-1 tablespoon gluten free all purpose flour
-1 cup lactose free milk (or plant milk of choice)
-1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cut potato into thin slices. Any shape works! I cut mine into thin rounds and then cut those in half. Line them in a greased casserole dish.
3. Melt ghee in a small pot on medium heat. Add in flour and whisk well - care not to let any pieces stick and burn! Once fully combined, slowly add in your milk and whisk well.
4. Bring milk mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Once boiling, remove from heat and pour over your potatoes. Top with parmesan cheese.
5. Bake in the oven for an hour. Check around 40 minutes to be sure top is not burning. If it is browning too quickly, cover with foil until done!
My favorite "fancy" restaurant in New Orleans is Galatoires. Sitting amongst the chaos that is Bourbon Street, this white tiled little oasis has some of the best food in the city. One of their signature side dishes is potatoes au gratin, and every time I make these I aspire to be as good as theirs!