Serves: about 4; makes about 16 small meatballs
-1 lb ground meat of choice (I always use organic ground turkey, but chicken or beef would work too)
-1/4 to 1/2 cup of gluten-free rolled oats
-3 tbsp pesto*
-1/2 cup bell pepper, finely diced
-1/2 cup carrots, finely diced
-1 tsp salt
-1 tsp Herbs de Provence (optional)
-1 tbsp avocado oil or garlic infused olive oil
*You can make homemade pesto (working on getting that on the blog!) or use store bought. I have found a mostly low-FODMAP pesto at the store, but double check the ingredients if you're extra sensitive to garlic or lactose!
1. Blitz/pulse your oats in a blender or food processor a couple times so they are no longer whole but not quite a flour consistency.
2. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
3. Heat a large oven safe skillet on medium heat and add the cooking oil to it.
4. Combine all other ingredients except cooking oil in a large bowl and mix well with clean hands. Roll into small balls, about 1.5 inches in diameter. Place each ball in the heated pan. I made about 16 meatballs out of one pound of ground meat - but feel free to make them larger!
5. After about 3-4 minutes, carefully flip each meatball and cook another 3-4 minutes. This gives them that delicious crispy edge.
6. Carefully transfer the oven safe skillet to the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and serve with pasta of choice & marinara (homemade or my favorite storebought, Rao's) or even with just roasted or steamed vegetables. My husband ate them on a meatball sub and loved that as well!