Servings: about 6
-1 cup bell peppers, diced
-1 cup carrots, shredded or diced
-2 tbsp garlic infused olive oil
-1 lb ground meat of choice*
-2 tbsp tomato paste
-1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
-1 cup water
-1/2 cup peas, fresh or frozen
-2 sprigs fresh rosemary
-2 sprigs fresh thyme
-2 cups golden or russet potatoes, peeled
-1/4 cup butter or ghee**
-2 tbsp unsweetened plain almond milk
-1/2 tsp sea salt
-1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
-1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
*I used half beef and half chorizo, but any meat would work here. You could even use soy crumbles and make it all vegetarian!
**Ghee is just lactose free butter, but with a slightly nuttier taste. Either would work in this dish! You may also use vegan butter if desired.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Heat a cast iron skillet* to medium heat and add in the garlic infused olive oil, bell peppers, and carrots. Saute until carrots are softened.
2. While that is cooking, add the potatoes to a pot full of water and bring to a boil. Allow them to boil until fork tender (at least 10 minutes). Drain, smash, and add in the butter, almond milk, and salt. Stir well. Turn heat off and set aside.
3. Add in the meat and brown the meat until cooked.
4. Stir in the water, worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste.
5. Stir in the peas and fresh herbs. Let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until liquid reduces.
6. Cover the mixture with the potatoes, being sure to seal the potatoes along the edges to prevent bubbling. Top with the cheese.
7. Transfer to the oven for 20 minutes. To get that browning on the cheese, switch the oven to broil for about 2 minutes (be care and watch, as it can burn quickly!)
*If you’re not using an oven safe skillet like a cast iron, you’ll need to transfer your mixture to an oven safe casserole dish before topping with the potatoes!