-1 block extra firm tofu
-1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot starch
-Vegetable oil (about 1/2 cup)
-2 bell peppers, sliced
-1 cup broccoli
-1 medium zucchini, chopped
-1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
-1 cup uncooked brown rice (optional)
-1/4 cup brown sugar
-1/4 cup rice vinegar
-3 tbsp organic ketchup
-3 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce or coconut aminos)
-2 tbsp maple syrup
-1 tbsp garlic infused olive oil
-1 tbsp sambal olek
-1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
-1/4 cup water
1. Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch thick strips. Press between paper towels & a dish rag and place heavy items (such as cookbooks or a cast iron skillet) on top for at least 30 minutes. This is key to crispier tofu!
2. Whisk all ingredients of the sauce together and set aside.
3. Start cooking your rice.
4. Cut tofu into pieces and toss in a bag with the cornstarch. Heat a large skillet on medium heat and pour in the vegetable oil - about a 1/4 inch in the pan. Add in tofu and allow to simmer until golden brown, turning them every now and then so every side is in the oil. Remove and place on a paper towel to drain off excess oil.
5. In a large skillet or wok, cook your vegetables down with a little cooking oil and salt. Steam your broccoli and add to the rest of the vegetables. Once they are cooked to your liking, pour the sauce over them, stirring to coat everything.
6. Add in the tofu and stir so it is also covered in the sauce.
7. Serve over rice and enjoy!