Servings: about 8-9
-1 lb organic ground beef*
-1 lb spicy Italian sausage*
-32 oz marinara sauce of choice (I always use Rao’s)
-Gluten free oven-ready lasagna noodles
-15 oz whole milk ricotta cheese OR cashew ricotta (see below)
-1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (use 1 cup DF mozz if doing DF)
-Optional add-in veggies (all diced finely for best results): bell pepper, zucchini, asparagus, spinach, etc. If you’re now doing low-FODMAP, I’d highly recommend mushrooms & onions!
*OR 2 lbs ground meat of choice OR 2 cans of lentils, to make this vegetarian
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
2. Brown both meats in a large deep skillet on the stove at medium heat. Add a little salt if desired.
3. Add in your optional diced veggies here. Cook down until soft.
4. Stir in marinara and mix well. Turn heat to low.
5. Mix your egg and ricotta together in a bowl. Set aside.
6. Spread some of your meat sauce out onto the dish you are using, covering the bottom.
7. Place uncooked lasagna noodles down in one layer, covering the meat sauce.
8. Spread half of the ricotta mixture out over the noodles. Top with a little more meat sauce.
9. Add another layer of noodles, followed by another layer of ricotta, and another layer of meat sauce. Continue this pattern until you’ve used everything up. I made thin layers and got 3 full layers, ending with meat sauce.
10. Sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmesan over the top of the lasagna dish. If you’re doing this DF, use a dairy free shredded mozzarella and skip the parm!
11. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the aluminum and bake another 10-15 minutes. Let rest for at least 30 minutes before serving.
To make this dish dairy free, use cashew ricotta. I got this recipe from my co-worker Abby!
-2 cups cashews
-1/2 cup almond milk
-Juice of half a lemon
-Salt & pepper
Flash boil the cashews in 2 cups of water for about 20 minutes - until water is nearly gone. Strain and add cashews and remaining ingredients to a high powered blender or food processor. Process until a creamy consistency forms. Use this in place of whole milk ricotta in your lasagna!